Unarmed, and Unafraid

With apologies to "The Matrix" this is what came into my head when I started seeing all the hysteria coming out of the right after they lost the battle over health care reform. Their threats of violence and mob mentality are meant to intimidate progressives. Knowing now that the current administration and congress can actually get an agenda passed despite road blocks and delay tactics, the far right are now left to show their true selves.

Being a big Matrix fan, I immediately went to the speech by the character "Morpheus" who spoke to his people ahead of a major battle with the machines who were coming to invade their home: Below is the video of the speech:



I've re-written it to make it more relevant to what's going on now...

"(Progressives) hear me! It is true what many of you have heard. The (right wing) have gathered an army (of Teabaggers) and as I speak that army is drawing nearer to our home.

Believe me when I say we have a difficult time ahead of us but if we are to be prepared for it we must first shed our fear of it.

I stand here before you now truthfully unafraid!
Why?!

Because I believe something you do not?
No!

I stand here without fear because I remember.

I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me.. but because of the path that lies behind me!

I remember that for one hundred years we have fought these (right wingers)!

I remember that for one-hundred years they have sent their (mobs) to destroy us and after a century of (struggling for civil and human rights), I remember that which matters most! We are still here!

Tonight let us send a message to those (Teabaggers)! Let us shake this cave! Tonight let us tremble these walls of earth, steel and stone! Let us be heard from red core to black sky!

Tonight let us make them remember this is (America), and we are not afraid!
America is not afraid of the right or the Teabag mob because history tells us progress is continual and inevitable. The end to slavery, the suffrage movements, civil rights, medicare - all the major movements toward political, economic or health equality have been met with strong opposition and threats, if not acts of violence. These movements are now part of what makes this country great.

And while the right brandish their guns, throw bricks, send threatening faxes and try to intimidate us into compliance with the status quo, they show how deep they have swallowed the lies and misinformation of those in power, who are using them to defend their interests.

There will be no similar reaction from progressives. We shall remain unarmed, and unafraid. And we will keep working for change. Health care reform, immigration reform, the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't tell, financial reform, and environmental protection. Because that is what a government of the people, for the people does. And it is why the majority of Americans voted for the current president and gave him majorities in both houses. This is democracy in action.

As for those who would try to stop progress through violence or threats of violence, I leave with the following Chinese proverb:

"He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument."

Comments

Popular Posts